3-1: Web Technologies Affecting My Practice and Classroom

The different technologies across the web have had an impact on both my teaching style and my classroom environment.  All of my students have a Chromebook and each desktop screen offers them access to a variety of apps and websites to use in the classroom.  I love how my students have direct access with a click of a button and have now become more independent on utilizing these resources in their classwork.  One personal issue I have with this is that our district has not provided staff with the necessary professional development on how to appropriately incorporate these technology tools into our teaching. Technology in the classroom allows for students to demonstrate their knowledge of a specific topic in a variety of ways.  Technology allows all learners to be successful! Technology has allowed me to assess students and see what skills may need to be retaught.  Based on technology assessments, I have been able to create small groups that continue practicing these skills to help strengthen their application skills. I look forward to seeing what future technology brings to the classroom, but would like more professional development opportunities to help improve my utilization of these resources.

4 thoughts on “3-1: Web Technologies Affecting My Practice and Classroom”

1. John, I hope sometime soon your district provides more assistance in the form of professional development to you and your colleagues.
    Becky

2. I couldn’t agree more. I love that our students have access to a hundred ways to access information and show learning but we as teachers would be more efficient and successful if we had the professional development to back it up. At a previous school district I worked for, teachers from around the district would come in and demonstrate how they use a particular platform or skill. I found that more helpful than watching a YouTube tutorial from someone I don’t know and filling in a Google Form afterwards. I want to be able to stay ahead of my students and be able to help them with technology as well. I love learning things from my students, but not something I should be using to teach them.
    Thanks for sharing!

3. John,
    I enjoyed reading your first post. Being in the same district as you, I totally agree that we need more teacher training time and resources!
    You made a really great point here about using web technologies for assessments. I didn’t even think about that piece when I was writing my blog post, but web technologies have really changed that part of education.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Krista

4. Hi John,
    I agree with you that everyone, not only students, have access with the click of a button. The only problem becomes what to do with that access. It can be used for good or bad. Do you think there are times when too much information is not always a good thing? Can too much information become to overwhelming for some students? It is sad that your district does not provide more professional development, but that does not mean teachers cannot learn on their own as you are doing taking these classes.
    Bill